Thursday, December 28, 2006

Why I joined the Army

I had an experience yesterday that I haven't had in a long time. I went out with the logistics guys to go turn in munitions that we most likely wouldn't be using before we left like rocket launchers, mortars, Mk-19 grenades, hand grenades, smoke grenades, flash-bangs and other odd ball munitions. To move all of it we had to use the PLS since it was all in a conex, but we had to strap it down first with cargo nets and straps. Taking it over to the ASP we accounted for everything and turned it over to the personnel at the ASP. I started to have flash backs of Annual Training and moving ammo around from one range or another for all the line units doing weapons training. I started to remember why I joined the Army in the first place: to do something I can't do anywhere else and to do it while I'm still young. I know my family is grateful that I don't need to go outside the wire working in the human resources section, but I was never meant to work behind a desk, especially in the Army. It is very disheartning to see civilians doing the same job I am and they get to wear normal clothes and they don't have to haul around a weapon. It makes me wonder why I am even here. Some people might say 'you should be grateful you don't have to work to exhaustion everyday' or something like that, but what does it matter if you don't get any satisfaction out of your job. I have learned many things in the S-1 that will be useful in the future, but of all the things I've learned on this deployment the one skill that I would consider most valuable is learning how to operate a three ton forklift.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon, one of the things I had to tell my son early on in this deployment, I am now going to tell you.

First, you are a part of a team. And not everyone on the team gets to do the "glorified" job. But instead of looking at it like "why are you even here if there are civilians that can do my job," remember that one of the GREATEST things about what you do is you get to bring a piece of HOME, the other half of the world, there.

Second, if it wasn't for the guys in the S-1 Section, particularly, you and Beans, the mail guys, this deployment would seem even longer and worse than it already is. You're the one person they LIKE to see! You make sure they get those packages and letters that smell of perfume, or the box of cookies their loved ones have made for them. You are not a tax or bill collecter, or someone bearing bad news (unless it's a Dear John letter). Unfortunately, you probably don't get to hear THANK YOU enough from your own comrades.

This deployment has been long and hard to bear at times, but don't look back as though someone else could have done what you did or that you didn't make a difference. You're making personal sacrifices everyday just like everyone else is over there. You're doing what you were assigned to do during this deployment. This may not have been what you had in mind when you enlisted. You enlisted to see the world (even in it's ugliest forms), get an education, learn new skills, build new friendships, be a part of a team, and join some of the best Americans at their finest. You wanted to be a part of THAT. Like some of the ugliest parts of the world, I'm sensing you feel as though you have been in an "ugly" position. Those two things have something in common - no control. But if you look back at what I just wrote, you are doing all of those things.

Yes, we mom's like the fact that you're in a "safer" position than those going out beyond the gates, but we're no less proud of what you do. Your job is JUST as important as anyone elses.

So, keep your chin up. There's worse things you could be doing in an even worse place! :)

Lastly, THANK YOU!

Take care and God Bless,

Ma Beans

membrain said...

I second what Ma Beans said. Every little bit helps. Thanks for serving. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Plus that fast acting kick-back brake to help keep you safe, of course.
Even a formal or informal sitting area, a grill or a comfy hammock could provide an inviting focal
point. Tuscan landscape design is elegant and refined, but at the same time natural and rustic - an ideal garden style
that blends sophisticated modern architecture into the beauty of the outdoors.



Here is my web page: snow clearing, snow clearing Aberdeen, snow clearing Aberdeenshire