Thursday, November 23, 2006

This Is Very Interesting-Happy Thanksgiving

I was intrigued while reading this and I think many of you will also be interested in reading it.

http://rofasix.blogspot.com/2006/11/zais-nails-us-strategy-in-iraq.html

I just returned from eating Thanksgiving lunch with my section at Chow Hall 3. I have to say I am stuffed more than a normal day here in Iraq. People have been saying 'happy Thanksgiving' all day long, but it never really felt like Thanksgiving till we got to che chow hall. Even then it wasn't that it felt like Thanksgiving, but it reminded me that I'm away from home on a day that we traditionally do the same thing every year. The food was good and all, but I really missed home a lot more than normal. I started to think if it would be more beneficial to pretend that today was just like any other day and the holiday wasn't really upon us. Despite what I'm missing I think that maybe I should focus more on what the holiday is really about and remember everything that I'm thankful for. So if you're reading this today, remember the true meaning of the holiday.

I should also mention that today I got a letter in the mail from Michelle that smells reall really really good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan,
We are so proud of you and are very thankful that you are serving others and our country. We missed you too. We keep you in our prayers everyday. I am Thankful for a loving family and strong family traditions that tie us all together. No matter where you are in life on Thanksgiving or any other holiday as family we are together in thoughts and in spirit.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonathan:
We definitely missed you on Thursday but look forward to your return in a few months. Please know how much we appreciate the sacrifice you and your fellow soldiers are making in serving your country. We're very proud of all of you.
Take care.

Love,
Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

Jonathan,
Just wanted you to know that it didn't quite feel like Thanksgiving to us either without you and your family joining us at your grandparents'. Sometimes we just have to do the right thing and that's what you are doing now and we are so thankful that you and so many military personnel are standing up to do what's right. Not many people are willing to do that these days. DOing the right thing does not come without a price. Right now the price for you is that you have to be away from friends and family and the comforts of home for a short time so that no one has to suffer under tyranny and dictatorship in the future, including those of us here . It's an important thing that you all do there and you can be proud of your mission....blessings, sam and beth